- obscurity is the biggest threat authors face
- things change because creative people see problems to solve and are not afraid of the future; people who face those problems are searching for solutions and reward the problem solver
- cross-media creators collaborate with others to develop synergies between formats to increase the success of each format; videos referencing the book increase book sales, book references to the videos increase video views (and ad revenue), and a brand’s overall popularity enables it’s owners to explore new opportunities such as events
- fans rate and review books ten times more on GoodReads than on Amazon
- self-publishing is the wave of the future, but some self-publishing authors will become publishing service providers after they become good at self-publishing and decide to extend their services to help other authors; some authors like to do all the stuff required to publish a book while others just like to write
- media trends seem to follow cycles where innovative artists operate independently for a while but then consolidate on the few platforms that are aggregating the most attention; driving traffic is difficult and expensive–especially the first million
- focus on your vision rather than copying others; it is much more fun to be the leader
What problems are you trying to solve through your writing?